Saturday, January 26, 2008

Sprained Ankle Adventures 2

It's been a few weeks and I am still wearing the boot. I hate it, but it's become a part of me.

As a teacher I think of confiscating a wide variety of student items--especially things I like. I kind of want a pink mini Ipod. I probably wouldn't even use it, but I see the kids using them and they look soooo cute and so practical. I always joke about this kid of thing. Some of them don't think it's funny.

Scooters are really popular these days. One of my students let his fall to the floor so that it was actually a danger. Someone (me) could have tripped on it. So I picked it up and was seized with a sudden desire to ride it. In my classroom. So I did. I picked it up and rode it back an forth a few times while that student was flirting with another student. He was so focused on helping her that he didn't even notice me scooting back and forth behind him and then turning around. Alot of other students didn't notice either. I even stuck my leg out behind me like and ice skater. Finally, I couldn't take it anymore. "Hey, I really need one of these things. I don't think you're even supposed to have them at school. I might have to confiscate it."
"Oh, no Miss, please don't. I need it to get around."
"I understand. It's kind of fun, but I think I might need it more. It's easier than walking right now. Where can I get one?"
"I got mine at Walmart for like $20."
"No way. $20!? I'm so there."

How many high school teachers does anyone know who would ride a scooter around campus?

Well, me, I guess.

I also have to pull a few "do as I say and not as I do" type lectures when another student got the brilliant idea to also ride the scooter in class. The last thing I need is for him to break his nose under my care.

"But Miss D, how come you can do it and I can't?"

"Because I'll be careful. It's not like I'm going to ride my scooter through the halls when it's full of students. I'm going to use it to take up the attendance when there's no one around."

I actually ran into a student from my substitute teaching days. She was working behind the counter and rang up my scooter. She thought it was pretty cool too. And yes, I used the cart again.

I do hate the boot. It's not nearly as cute as my shoes. But then again, it's been inspiring and fun to ride the carts and buy a scooter to get around. I can't wait for the funny looks to begin.


My foot on the cart at Lowe's a very fun place to ride a cart on a Monday night. Lots of friendly people and the cart was pretty fast.

I gave myself frostbite from an ice pack. Not so fun. Check out my blister and the discoloration on the skin.

0 comments: