Monday, March 17, 2008

My Accident, the Talk of the Town


I left school at around 4:10 pm. I was driving around 30mph even though I could have been driving it faster because it's technically after school hours. But I don't. I work at the high school and there is a skateboard park where one of my students was hit by a car and landed in the hospital for seven days. He was in a coma and no one was sure he would make it. Do you think I would speed there? Hell NO!! I had my left turn signal on, was going to get into the left turn lane. Then some lady didn't stop at the stop sign coming off the highway. I tried to get out of her way by changing lanes to the right. She still hit me. Kaboom.

My neck hurts. I called the police. It should be cut and dry. She had a stop sign. I tried to get out of her way. She still crashed into me. She tried to say I was speeding and that I came out of nowhere. She was following the guy in front of her and it was clear. Ummm, yeah right. She had a stop sign.

The cafeteria lady saw me.

CLady: Miss D, are you OK? I just wanted to stop and make sure.
MissD: Yeah, though my neck hurts and I'm waiting for the police to make a report.
Clady: Here, you can have my Diet Coke. I just got it and I haven't drunk from it yet.
MissD: Aww, thanks, you're so sweet. And it won't do anything to add to my waist!

The next day I parked my car where students could see it. Then I walked to the cafeteria to get some breakfast. I love these breakfast sausage pizzas that they make. So delicious. Half the staff was asking if I was OK. It was really kind of sweet. We heard what happened to you. Are you OK?

I drew a diagram of what my car did and what the stoopid lady did.
Stdnt: Miss D, you can't spell. That's not how you spell stupid.
MissD: Well, it is when someone is soooper stooopid.

At least two students came up to me and said, Hey Miss D, I saw you on the street with your car. One was on a bus that I remember pulling into the parking lot as I was pulling out. It later passed by me on the street. Would the stoopid lady have hit that bus?

Some students said stupid stuff like they did when I sprained my ankle.
Wow Miss D, what did you do to your car?
Did you hit a parked car?
Can you drive?
Did you get your license from a Cracker Jack box?
Can we kick your car since it's already jacked up? No one will even notice.

Seriously, I remember saying some of these same kinds of things when I was a kid, so it doesn't really bother me that much. For the most part, I felt like people were actually concerned and glad that I was OK. Except for the kid who jumped onto the chair and broke it.

Miss D: I'm sure everyone wants to know what happened, so I drew a diagram.
Sassy: I don't want to know.

Oh well. You can't win them all.

0 comments: