Monday, April 21, 2008

The Meeting With The Principal

Thursday was not my lucky day.

I was called in for my review and it was not good. It was bad. It was awful.

I could see the handwriting on the wall when someone from the district office was there for our meeting. I didn't really know what to do at that point.

As we went through my review, I could see all the marks that said needs improvement or unsatisfactory. I don't think I've ever had such a bad review in my life, except for the first one. At least now there were a few marks the said meets or exceeds expectations. I started looking at the next page.

Principal: I'm still on the first page.
MissD: I'm sorry. I was just wondering, if we could skip to the end like a book. Sometimes you want to know what's coming.
Principal: There's a process I have to go through.


With me, because I am the choir teacher, there are things on my review that are rather unexpected. They mentioned low enrollment in the choral program, kids asking for schedule changes, the last choir concert not going very well. Honestly, after the things I have been through, I sort of knew there wouldn't be any chance of recovering. I should have quit. I thought I could overcome. My mistake.

I ended up in tears. There has been so much to overcome. Things that were unexpected, things that weren't made clear, secret expectations I could in no way meet. The guy who left the position spent 10 years building up his program. It was based largely on his personality. How could anyone measure up?

Part of the reason for my sick day was because I am very sick, but the other part is that I have to gather myself up somehow to face my students for the next few months knowing I won't be back.

I would have preferred an impersonal pink slip.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did the principal give you the option to resign? I hope so - especially since you are not tenured- right?

I taught in two different K-12 school systems before I returned to school. During school, I have been teaching part time at a community college. Both places are like night and day. I know a few teachers who have been cut from their positions, one tenured, two not. I went back to school for Linguistics because I wanted to expand my job skills.

I get the feeling that the professional support was on the low end, am I right? I also have the feeling that this particular school was not a very good fit - which isn't your fault - it happens to a lot of teachers, including me. I am looking for a job in college administration because I need to expand my professional experience.

I put you in my prayer book. I am praying that you will find a job that is a good fit for you within a reasonable time frame.

If you are interested at all in moving to the Chicago area, I can help you get some contacts. I worked for a southeast suburban cooperative and I have coworkers at my current workplace who are schoolteachers during the day.

Feel free to email me at exchurchmouse@gmail.com if you need to vent some more or have any questions.

Anonymous said...

XCM, you're the BEST. Thanks for your prayers. I have been trying to get into community college for awhile. People keep telling me I should go to chicago. The jazz scene is pretty hot there, too.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I was extended that courtesy. I couldn't stomach writing about everything I have endured just yet, but there have been lockdowns and driveby threats, etc. to keep me entertained. I might be working on that entry as I think about what I should write for my letter of resignation.

Anonymous said...

It is very difficult to find full-time teaching positions in the community colleges, but there are plenty in city proper and in the suburbs.

If you are interested in high school or K-12, let me know.

The winters kind of suck, but I like Chicago because it is a down to earth, yet colorful and kind of nutty city.