Monday, April 14, 2008

What I Saw vs. What You Say

MissD: You need to use your time for practice.
Katie: I was practicing, Miss D.
MissD: Oh, really? Is that why I asked you to go back to your chair twice?
Katie: But except for that, I was practicing.
MissD: Really? Let's review. What did I see in between testing kids?
Katie: I was up out of my chair.
MissD: Yes, and?
Katie: You saw me talking to the girl behind me.
MissD: And?
Katie: You saw me leaning back in my chair sideways, talking.
MissD: And then when you came for your piano test, how did you do?
Katie: Not so hot.
MissD: Why's that?
Katie: Because I need to focus on my practicing more and not talk at all.
MissD: Thanks for telling me what I already know. If you had played perfectly, I might not be so hard on you. But I'm looking at the evidence and it tells me that you aren't practicing enough. You only get one more chance. Now git. Shoo. Outta here. Go practice.

She picked up her piano book, went back to her seat, put on her headphones and put her fingers on the keyboard. Why they think they are fooling me is really beyond me at this point. Now I ask them to evaluate their own behavior. Clearly I have eyes on the back of my head. I am psychic. I've also heard it all before. I am a teacher, after all!

0 comments: